Monday, January 10, 2011

Moment of 2010

Someone, not satisfied I had sweated and toiled and produced my ten best of 2010, asked me what the best moment of 2010 was. Sheesh, what a question! Brilliant. Not scene, not character, not plot twist – moment. A challenge indeed.

Actually, after a quick scan of my 2010 cinematic memory, not such a challenge after all. To evoke a tear, a smile, a chuckle, a shudder, all worthy movie moments. But to make me audibly gasp and physically convulse, then laugh out very loud – that’s a rare and mighty fine moment. And I did that on one occasion that stands out like a flashing neon sign in my mind.

Moment of the year: From the Todd Phillips' movie Due Date, when Peter (played by Robert Downey Jr) spits in the face of Sonny, Ethan’s (Zach Galifianakis) dog.

Shocking, I know. I am an absolute dog lover. But, for that very reason, this moment worked so very well. There is no greater insult to a dog owner than this. Nothing that Peter could say to make Ethan feel as bad and outraged as he does after this terrible act of frustrated aggression.

I feel slightly ashamed. I feel that the moment of 2010 should come from a more noteworthy movie – Due Date wasn’t even in the top ten. In fact, Due Date was a very mixed bag and failed to truly capitalise on the wonderfully mismatched pairing of Downey Jr and Galifianakis. It is not a movie I would recommend to very many – furthermore, I would actively and aggressively advise some not to see it. But, there it is.

Genius.

---------------------------

Peter: Sonny, you will be sorely missed, you little bat-faced piece of s**t!

No comments: