Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Geoffrey Rush, Ian McShane

Dir. Rob Marshall
Scr. Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio

There’s not a great deal to say really. It is what it is. A mixed bag. Fun, mildly amusing, frustrating, clichéd, lacking in chemistry, with a great deal of swagger and a couple of lovely wee cameos thrown in. I remain of the view that they should have retired the Pirates franchise long before this film, but I understand why they don’t. And, here I am, proving them right. Will I always go along to a new Pirates of the Caribbean film? As long as Johnny Depp is on board, damn straight I will. And that’s why Captain Jack Sparrow will go down as one of the greatest characters of a generation.

-------------------------

Barbossa: Gentlemen, the fountain is the prize. Mermaid waters, that be our path.

No comments: