Sunday, December 30, 2012

Top Ten of 2012


What a totes cracking cinematic year it has been. I certainly haven’t seen as many films as I had hoped (I never do!), but I had no trouble coming up with enough stellar movies to easily populate the list. In fact, it was quite an effort to stick to ten. Disclaimer, as always: I take no responsibility for movies in this list technically being 2011 films – I see them as they arrive on Kiwi screens. In alphabetical order, my top ten of 2012 are:

The Dark Knight Rises – I agonised for quite some time about whether to include this film or Whedon’s brilliantly entertaining Avengers. In the end, TDKR simply moved me more.

The Hobbit – I risk being deported if I don’t include Sir Peter Jackson’s latest Middle Earth caper in this year’s list. And, furthermore, this is a film made by a cinematic pioneer, with an undying passion for the material. Nuff said.

Into the Abyss – My spiritual hero, Werner Herzog, at his best. A simply wonderful look at an awful subject, this film surprises and angers and saddens and challenges, but manages to do so without preaching.

Looper – A real surprise: compelling and thrilling and smart. I immediately wanted to watch it again. With a masterful performance by Joseph “He’s Everywhere All the Time” Gordon-Levitt.

Martha Marcy May Marlene – By no means an easy watch, this film is outstanding and has remained with me for months. Disturbing and unsettling, with a lead performance that is out of this world.

A Royal Affair – Wonderfully lush, this film was definitely a standout. I laughed, I cried and I learnt a great deal about Danish history.

Searching for Sugar Man – Two documentaries is maybe a hard sell for such a short list, but I simply couldn’t leave out this mysterious and uplifting story of an unknown superstar. I was an instant fan of the film and the music.

Skyfall – It hasn’t pleased everyone, especially those who like their Bond more misogynistic and wise-cracking. But it’s a Bond for the times – failure, emotional depth and all. And I loved it.

Tinker Tailor Solider Spy – It was film of the year ‘thus far’ when I saw it in January and remained a strong contender at the year’s end. Brilliant cast, brilliant story, brilliant atmosphere.

We Need to Talk About Kevin – And finally, my film of the year. An absolutely glorious film – stark, disturbing, beautiful and utterly unforgettable.

Very highly recommended (and so very nearly in the top ten):

The Artist, The Avengers, Chronicle, The Descendants, The Ides of March, Seven Psychopaths, The Way

Disappointment of the year:

Rock of Ages

Quote of the year:

Tony Stark (to Loki) in The Avengers - "There is no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army will come, maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn sure we’ll avenge it!"

1 comment:

francis said...

I always follow your excellent recommendations, Lucy. Thanks for always getting there ahead of me :)