Saturday, December 31, 2016

Top Ten of 2016

It's that time again - these are the top ten films I saw at the cinema in 2016. A year of some unforgettable performances.

Arrival - I was deeply moved by this film. So sad and not at all what I was expecting. Amy Adams was utterly tremendous.

David Brent: Life on the Road - The return of Ricky Gervais' creation could have been a disaster. And while this film has received mixed reviews, I thought it was brilliantly funny and extremely poignant.

Girl on a Train - Also a divisive film, I was utterly mesmerised by Emily Blunt's amazing performance in this thriller. For me, it lived up to the book, which I also loved.

Hail, Caesar! - So so funny and clever, I adored this Coen Brothers film. Completely worth it for the "would that it were so simple" scene alone.

High Rise - I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to see this film again, but I highly recommend just one viewing of this visceral and disturbing thriller.

Lady in the Van - For my money, this film contains two of the outstanding performances of the year. Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings give a masterclass in acting in this funny and sad true story.

La La Land - It felt like this movie was made with me in mind. This romantic musical is a joy, with an abundance of chemistry between its gorgeous leads Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

Room - I saw this award-winning film so early in 2016 and yet it has stayed with me all year. A beautiful, difficult, sad, uplifting story.

Sing Street - A must see for any child of the 80s, this musical is brimming with talent and laughs and joy. Loved it.

Steve Jobs - Michael Fassbender's portrayal of Apple founder Jobs might be my performance of the year. This is a compelling and interesting biopic with a unique and revealing story-telling structure.

Honourable mentions: Jason Bourne, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

No comments: