Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Top Five of First Half of 2013


Yeah, I know; I’ve been absent. I blame life in general. And my new-found obsession with the terribly time-consuming Doctor Who. I certainly haven’t been absent from the cinema though. So, for the first time ever, my top five films of the first half of this year (not very snappy; must try harder).

Beasts of the Southern Wild – What a cracking wee film. Its imagery and grittiness has stayed with me for months. Highly recommend. (My review is here: http://theflicks.blogspot.co.nz/2013/01/beasts-of-southern-wild.html)

Les Misèrables – I dreamed a dream that Crowe could sing. I dreamed that flair would be forthcoming. It wasn’t. However, it simply didn’t matter that Crowe was so average. The film was glorious and bombastic and a visual treat. (My review is here: http://theflicks.blogspot.co.nz/2013/01/les-miserables.html)

Lincoln – If you have any interest in US history or legal history or politics, you must see this film. If not, see it anyway; you might learn something. You certainly won’t see a better lead performance: Day-Lewis is (once again) an absolute phenomenon.

Silver Linings Playbook – My film of the year … so far (though it would take something quite special to knock it off top spot.) I don’t necessarily buy all the hype that it’s the first film to openly and honestly deal with mental illness, but it certainly does so with a whole lot of heart and spunk. Simply brilliant.

Star Trek Into Darkness – I just don’t care that it’s flawed. Or ridiculous. Or illogical. It was fun and relentless and visually wonderful. I laughed. I cried. And my love for Benedict Cumberbatch increased beyond a healthy amount.

--------------

Quote of the year thus far:

Pat – “You have poor social skills. You have a problem.”

Tiffany – “I have a problem? You say more inappropriate things than appropriate things.”

Silver Linings Playbook

No comments: