Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top Ten of 2013

It's that time of year again - when I bemoan how few films I have managed to see and blame life for getting in the way; when I explain this is my top ten films seen this year (even if some are technically from last year) ... I hope you saw some crackers this year. I certainly did. And, yes, I can count - there are 11 films below. I simply couldn't decide which one to cut. Ah well - my blog, my rules to break. So, here they are:

Beasts of the Southern Wild – An early favourite this year, Beasts has stayed with me for many months. A beautiful, heart-breaking story with a ton of magical realism.

Captain Philips – I thought Gravity was tense. Then I saw Captain Philips. Jeez – nails bitten, seat edge occupied, stomach churned. Hanks gives his best performance ever in this harrowing true story.

The Fifth Estate – This will be an unpopular choice, I’m sure. This movie has been almost universally panned by critics and not seen by audiences. But I simply couldn’t overlook Cumberbatch’s amazing lead performance and this gripping tale of ego.

Gravity – One of the most memorable visual experiences of my life, Gravity has finally proven beyond any doubt that there is a place for 3D in modern cinema. An amazing achievement.

Les Miserables – My token musical … But so much more than that.

Lincoln – With many a fine lead performance this past year, Day-Lewis’s Lincoln still tops them all. A film especially compelling for legal history buffs (yes, we do exist).

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – Mediocre reviews should not put you off this wonderfully magical film. A stellar effort from Stiller as both director and lead. I smiled throughout.

Silver Linings Playbook – I said it in January when I first saw Playbook and I’ll say it again: absolutely my film of the year. Wonderful performances from all and the kookiest love story you will see in quite some time.

Star Trek Into Darkness – Warts and all, this film entertained the hell out of me. Non-stop action and some great visuals. Cumberbatch shines again (when doesn’t he?)

The Way Way Back – A delightful coming-of-age movie, with a cast to die for. Funny, touching, compelling; a real unexpected highlight of the year.

The World's End – The final offering in the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, World’s End rounds out perhaps my favourite boxset ever. Bloody brilliant.

No comments: